I’ll be honest, I’m having a hard time with my time at the moment. I find myself careering from one task to the other, my mind feeling unfocused and fogged up. I’m trying to do everything at once and it isn’t working. I need to slow down, take things one at a time and start simplifying but it’s really hard to know how to do that. I’ve grown up into a work culture that glorifies being busy and where feeling stressed is the norm.
Right now, though, I’m suffering from ‘complete and utter overwhelm’ and this needs to change. Yesterday I wrote about getting rid of clutter in the physical spaces in your life. Now I think it’s time to start working on de-cluttering my time and simplifying my life.
The things battling for my time
The following things are fighting it out to have time spent on them:
- Work towards my yoga teacher-training course starting in February. I have a lot of reading to do, and a 90 minute practice to do 4-5 days per week.
- Two theatre projects I’m working on. One my own, another one that I’m co-directing. Both need to apply for funding.
- Developing this blog. There’s so much to learn!
- Writing my blog each day.
- Thinking about my life change and actively making changes.
- Planning my Happiness Project.
And, when I started all this life-changing business, I knew I wanted December (my first month of freedom) to be a time where I could take stock, figure myself out a bit and not panic and rush into a load of work.
Simplifying my relationship with time
I see time as something to be filled with tasks that can be ticked off, giving me a nice feeling of having been productive. I need to stop seeing time like this. It makes it incredibly hard to relax because you can’t quantify relaxation. It also makes it hard for me to do my own thing, because I struggle with indecision of what the thing is that I want to do/would be the best use of my time.
I know that I want to slow my life down, instead of feeling like I’m constantly rushing from task to task. I want to catch up with myself. I just need some help doing it.
The changes I’m going to make
Simplifying my time is going to be one of the first steps I make with this life-changing project. It’ll take some time to get it right, but I’m going to start from tomorrow. Here’s what I’m going to try:
- Daily meditation.
- Writing my top 3 priorities for the next day the night before.
- Schedule deep-thinking time into each day.
- Schedule daily ‘follow your gut time’. Time when I choose what to do based on how I feel in that moment.
- Factor learning time into every day.
Give me your tips (please!)
I plan to research around this more in the coming weeks and find new things to try until I settle on something that works well for me. If you have any tips for how I can simplify my time and de-clutter my schedule/mind please share them in the comments below.